Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My New Dream

Over the years, there have been so many things I've wanted to be. A Nurse, a pharmasist, a marine biologist, a dolphin trainer, an author, a journalist, the list goes on. But I've always known I wanted to do something that helped people, that touched their lives and made them better. I've always wanted to touch the broken and bring healing, I just didn't know how I was supposed to do that. Then it came to me. I was laying on the floor, like I usually do when I want to think, just stretched out and staring up at the white ceiling. And then it was there, just a tiny voice, whispering, surgery. Pediatric Cardiothorasic Surgery. It was a crazy thought, just a passing notion, but it was there none the less. Pediatric Surgery. One career path that had never crossed my mind. So I took the whisper and put it into the back of my mind, moving on to other things. Every time I thought about it, I got that feeling. Bubbly, like soda spilling over the top, excited, happy, passionate, determined, and I felt peace. Somehow that passing thought became my new dream. It became what I wanted with every part of me. All the other plans I had for my life took a back seat. I *knew* that this was what I wanted to do. Surgery. It still sounds crazy. But when I think of it, I get that feeling, and I want it. *THAT* is what I want to be. I know I'm still young. I know it's a lot of work. I know. But then there's the whisper. You can do this. Maybe this is where you're supposed to be, this is what you're supposed to do. You can do this. Don't give up. I know things will change. But then there's that whisper, that peace, that feeling. and I know I can. If I want this, if I truely want this, I can. I can do this, because I can do anything, in Christ who gives me strength.
I don't know where the future will take me. But I know I can. I know that if this is really where I'm supposed to be, I'll end up there. It won't be easy. I don't need easy, I just need possible.
So here I am, considering this thought. Chasing after this idea that has become my new dream. It's my new dream. And I can. Because I can do all things in Christ who gives me strength.

No comments: