Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Limos, Lattes and My Life On The Fringe

Limos, Lattes and My Life On The Fringe is the fourth book in the real life series by Nancy Rue. This is the story of Tyler Bonning, an average, african american teenager who is nominated for prom queen as a joke. That theme alone would make for a pretty interesting story, but when Tyler decides to turn her nomination into a cause and starts the Prom for Everyone campaign, a whole new level of crazy is added to her life. When you combine all of that with a cute boy who helps Tyler with her campaign, a sister who isn't the easiest person to get along with, parents who don't seem to understand, a new french friend, some old friends causing some new issues, and a strange book called RL, that's Tyler's life.
The main characters in this story are Tyler herself, Patrick, Valleri, Yuri, Sunny, and her parents. The minor characters include Dierdre, Matthew, Candace, Kenny, Hayley, Alyssa, Joanna, Egan, Youtube, Fred, Ryleigh (a character I named) Graham and Noelle.
Tyler overcame the challenges she faced regarding the the way she's percieved by others, the Ruling Class, and the K-Mart kids, doing the right thing and God, just to name a few.
My favorite character in this book would have to be Tyler. Even though I'm not a brainy, african american teeanger, I did relate with her, in the way she clearly struggled with her own identity. Once she decided something,though, she stuck to it, even if other people were trying to shut her down or obsticals came up in her way.
My favorite scene in this book is probably the scene where Patrick comes to visit Tyler in the hospital. It's near the end of the book, and it's not the scene where Tyler's true strength comes out or where she makes a total turn around, but it's the scene where she confesses the love that's been building up in her heart for Patrick. It was really sweet, and I absolutely loved it.
I really liked this book because the challenges Tyler faces are real and relatable. By the end of this book, I was in tears, though I wasn't sure why. I was just sitting there, with tears streaming down my face, holding the book to my chest. I would recommend reading this book, because even though at some parts the whole 'smart kid' language got a little hard to understand, the theme of the book was amazing and by the end, it did touch my heart enough to make me cry. I was unable to put this book down, just ask my mom. I would rate this book a 4.5 out of 5. I'm sad the RL series is over, but this book was amazing work by Nancy Rue, and left me wanting more, and more, and more...

1 comment:

Alyson Schroll said...

Great I will be reading this book soon.