Friday, May 25, 2012

Swingset of tears

"Are you crying?"
"Kind of?"
"Why?" he asked
"Cause I'm just - I want to go to Amsterdam and i want him to tell me what happens when the book is over and I just don't want my particular life, and also the sky is depressing me, and there is this old swing set out here..."
"I must see this swingset of tears immediatly," he said, I"ll be over in 20 minutes."


I was reminded of this at supper, as I looked out the window at the neighbor's swingset, and I could feel myself wanting to cry. It's been that kind of day, the kind where I start crying at swingsets.

"We've got to do something about this swingset," He said, "I'm telling you it's ninety percent of the problem."
"Headline?" he asked
"Swing Set needs home," I said
"Desperate lonely swing set needs loving home," He said
"Lonely, vaguely pedophilic swing set seeks the butts of children," I said
In the end, we settled on this:
Desperate lonely swingset needs home
One swing set, well worn but structurally sound seeks new home. Make memories with your kid or kids so that someday he or she or they will look into the backyard and feel the ache of sentimentality as desperatly as I did this afternoon. It's all fragile and fleeting, dear reader, but with this swingset your child(ren) will be introduced to the ups and downs of human life gently and safely and may also learn the most importent lesson of all; no matter how hard you kick, no matter how high you get, you can't go all the way around.

Quotes taken from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green