Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Kids from Phsyics 20

Do you remember in kindergarten, how you'd meet a kid, and know nothing about them, then 10 seconds later you'd be playing like you were best friends, because you didn't have to be anyone but yourself?

Even in the midst of everything going on around me, sometimes there are those little moments, those little blessings that make you stop and your breath catches in your throat and you just want to pause life and stay in this moment forever, because in that moment everything is ok.
There was a moment like that today, a moment that made me realize that sometimes the best medicine you can get comes from people who don't even know you're hurting.

Today was the physics practice test. Since it was a beautiful day, our teacher said we could write the tests outside. There we were, all 6 of us students crammed around the little blue table, while our teacher stretched out over at the red table. I thought it was kind of funny, all 6 of us sitting so close together we couldn't even open our binders without hitting somebody, so close that the tops of our papers brushed each others.
So we worked, and random comments were thrown in, comments about the little kids playing over on the playground, stories from when we were growing up, stuff like that.
One by one we finished our tests, and soon we were all just sitting around that tiny blue table, talking and laughing.
I didn't want to go to school today. But the funny thing was, today turned out to be exactly what I needed. 6 of us squished around a little table, laughing and smiling so much my face hurts.
These people know very little about me. I see them once a day for an hour and a half, the majority of that time spent not talking. And yet we all are connected, because we all show up in that classroom day after day and learn physics that we'll probably never use in real life. And then we go home, and we have an unspoken agreement that we'll do it again tomorrow.
I like my little physics class. I like the people there, the people that can make me laugh when I don't feel like smiling, people who make going to physics class once a day a little more bearable.
I guess they're right when they say laughter is the best medicine, and that the things you need can come from the most unexpected places.


No comments: