Sunday, July 6, 2014

when sparks fly (a love story)

He wrapped his hands around her waist and I saw it. Maybe not for the first time, probably not for the last time, but it was there, undeniable and real. And I knew in that moment that he loved her.
I closed my eyes and remembered playing paper dolls, reading books and making up pretend games. I remember all the times growing up felt like a betrayal because it meant I was one step closer to losing this. She was my first best friend, my childhood playmate, my family.
And life has a funny way of changing. Boy meets girl, they fall in love and, if they are lucky, they get a happily ever after.
I remember the first time I met him, and I thought to myself no one would ever be good enough for her. And I was wrong. Because when I saw him look at her that way, I knew she was a question he wanted to spend the rest of his life answering. And that made it enough.
I'm not a huge fan of weddings, with the ceremony and reception and lots of people I don't know and standing around awkwardly. But I love watching two people in love.
I love watching the first glances, the tearful smiles, the kiss and the beaming excitement.
Today I got to watch two people promise each other forever. And I didn't cry (much) as I watched these beautiful people enter into a life together, creating their own little family.
I want that someday. I want someone to look at me like the groom looks at his bride, full of love and joy.
My heart is full. I am so in love with my beautiful little family, and the expansion of it. I am remembering the past, dreaming about the future, and embracing all that is.
It's not perfect but it's mine, and it's enough.
Congratulations happy couple, love you both and wish you all the best as you begin your new life together.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it isn't proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

No comments: